Ricky's Race 2026
Race date: 13 August
Race distance: 4.5 mile
What do we do on the hottest day of the year? We go fell running! I've not really done many races this summer, and time was getting on so I booked myself on Ricky's Race, thinking I'd probably see a few Striders, trundle up and down a hill and be last or thereabouts V50 despite only being 50. Some of that came true. After a short drive, spent cursing the fact I still haven't got the AC sorted, I pulled into the idyllic Darley Dale Cricket Club. I backed the car as far under a tree as possible, slathered myself in suncream and strolled over to registration looking for familiar faces. Seeing none (they'll be here soon) I got chatting to a Dark Peak runner before setting off on the five-minute walk to the start (I hope they don't miss the start!).
I positioned myself near the back, still a bit nervous about the knee injury I did at Beer Lovers and knowing my lungs haven't been great on the climbs lately (OMG I'm the only Strider at a Derbyshire fell race!)
The race started on narrow paths through woodland, which was nice and cool and offered no overtaking opportunities. Normally I'd have been frustrated but this was very much a "get round" race and I'd set off with that aim. It also meant I got to eat some blackberries on a slow bit. After a mile and a bit of climbing, things flattened out and the landscape opened up and all was well with the world. I picked the pace up a bit as the field spread out and we got into the central section of the race, a long semi-wooded downhill that took us to just short of 3 miles.
The hot weather meant the (excellent) organisers had put on a water stop just before the sting in the tail of this race, and a kindly local had added a hosepipe spray. Thus refreshed, it was time to climb Oker Hill, only about 60 metres but a 30% gradient and a sneaky false summit, complete with supporters to add to how convincing it was. Nothing too horrible though, despite the heat and it was soon time to belt down the hill and across the line. A quick paddle to cool my feet off (I wasn't the only one) and home.
I proper enjoyed this, I've missed the midweek racing. It's not too hard a race but it's enough to get the blood pumping and it's super friendly. Recommended!
The race was won by Jack Broughton (Ilkeston RC) in 29:19.5 and by Hollie Broughton (Ilkeston RC) in 38:15.4. I don't know whether they're related. I was 27th of 34 MV50s, as more-or-less predicted.
Full result: https://www.webscorer.com/race?raceid=443480&live=1
Comments
Post a Comment