Tiger's Trail 2021
Race date: Wednesday, 28 April 2021
First race in over a year and I don't even have a photo!
This race is one I've done before (https://whatwasfortea.blogspot.com/2019/05/tigers-trail-2019.html), and had planned to do in 2020 before the pandemic cancelled everything. Thankfully, I received an email a few weeks before the race asking if I'd like to carry over my place, so I jumped at the chance.
The race was "COVID-safe", which meant we had to wear masks at registration, and not hang around in big groups beforehand. The number of runners was limited, and we set off in waves of ten. It was nice to see some familiar faces and have a catch-up, even if some of the Striders were now wearing the colours of the new Hillsborough & Rivelin and Dronfield clubs.
I was in the second-to-last wave, along with several other Striders. By about 400 yards into the initial super-fast downhill I was at the back, and although I pulled back one place (and a second just into the long, 4-km climb), I didn't see most of the rest again. After the pell-mell on-road downhill, the race climbs up and up and up, through the Limb Valley and Lady Canning's Plantation. I overtook several runners from earlier waves, but also got overtaken by some very fast ones from the last wave.
After the climb, there's a technical but not too steep downhill, which is just a lean in and go for it. I was behind a Vegan Runner, whom I just couldn't catch, but the attempt probably helped my time. Then it's a little undulating trail to wear your legs out, before the mile-long downhill tarmac nightmare of Long Line. I managed one more overtake on the final sprint across the rugby pitch, before screeching to a halt and trying to catch some breath.
Although I had a massive coughing fit at the end so I couldn't stay for a drink, and my lungs have been inflamed for the four days since, I was overjoyed to be racing again. I haven't run that hard perhaps since my 10k PB at Wakefield, and I can't wait for the next race.
The winners were Daniel Haworth of Matlock AC in 29:21, and Striders' Caroline Brock in 36:07.
I was 14th of 16 M40s, and 47th out of 78 overall, in 45:09 – 31 seconds slower than last time, but given the rust I'll take that. I also somehow managed to break my personal mile record along the way, which was very nice!
Full results: https://www.webscorer.com/race?raceid=239477
Comments
Post a Comment