Cressbrook Crawl





Race date: Saturday, 11 May 2019
This was a weird one. For a lot of the time during the race I wasn't having fun. But then by the end I was really enjoying myself. I'm writing this a week later because I'm slack, and there's bits of it I've forgotten entirely.
Cressbrook is a really tiny village, accessed by lots of really tiny roads. It's so tiny its main street doesn't have a name. It's in the White Peak, near Litton (where I raced at Christmas). The drive over was lovely, with a real feeling of earlly summer: lapwings, swallows, people out in their hobby cars (including two US police cars) and a sign by the road saying "No pizza on Tuesday".
Parking was at the bottom of a hill, by an old mill. On the strenuous climb up to the village for the start, I exchanged hellos with someone with an American accent. It turned out to be amazing US runner Clare Gallagher, adding some star quality. The race director seemed very pleased to have her there!
After a village-hall check in, paying a fiver for the post-race meal, and a warning of two "bastard hills" from the race director, away we went, out of the village and down a hill to the river. Across a little bridge and we were on to bastard hill no. 1: 150m of climbing in 800m. A couple of short respites but otherwise unrelenting. Even walking up it felt like I was going to get a calf strain.
I genuinely don't remember much about the middle section. Snapshots of scenery. A feeling of my new trail shoes really not working for me. A flattish section along really hard uneven ground. Then suddenly, up a little climb and we were on the Monsal Trail, a flat old railway track bed.
About a mile of recovery on the trail, and then we were off and ready for bastard hill no.2. I liked bastard hill no. 2. I ran all the way up it and even overtook one or two people. It was on-road and not too steep: 90m of climb in 1.1km. There was a moment where it hairpinned, and on the approach to the bend you could see the runners ahead far above you, but otherwise it was a great end to the race.
Across the finish line, back in to the village hall, hand in your race number and receive a free pint in return. The meal was a massive plate of chilli, baked potato and assorted salads, followed by a piece of cake.
This was a really lovely village event, and I'd definitely do it again.
The race was won by Kenny Malton of Shelton Striders in 45:12 .First female was (surprise!) Clare Gallagher. I crept in 76th of the 130 finishers, in 1:05:25.

Full result: http://www.cressbrookclub.org.uk/assets/fellrace2019.xlsx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great Hucklow Fell Race 2025

Stan's Toffee Run 2025