Sheffield 101010 2018

(I don't have a picture)
Race date: Sunday, 7 October 2018
This was a bit of a weird experience. The 101010/Ten10Ten/TenTenTen is a race I've done twice before, and found enjoyable and challenging. (The name comes from it being a 10k held near the 10th of October). The course is two laps of mixed trail, grass and footpath, starting and finishing in Endcliffe Park, not far from Sheffield city centre. It begins with a snakey wander across the grass, followed by a shallow climb on road, then up a steep grassy banking and into a narrow woodland trail with little opportunity for overtaking. The second half of the lap is by far the faster, being mostly downhill along the wide footpath through Bingham Park and then a bit of light trail through Endcliffe Park and back to the start.
It's a bit of a dilemma what shoes to wear, given that the grass can get quite waterlogged and the banking can be treacherous. I decided on road shoes, which was probably right: the ground was fairly grippy off road, even on the steep part, and there's too much tarmac for trail shoes to feel right.
Although I picked the right footwear, I didn't do anything else particularly well. My mind kept wandering throughout the race, and although I overtook people consistently up until about 8k, the lack of focus meant I just didn't push hard enough. I ran okay, was faster than last year (but I'd been injured last year) and was tired at the end, but I also recovered enough to run an uphill mile back to the car within a few minutes.
The race was won by Stephen Schubeler of Heaton Harriers & AC in 36:30. First female was Emma Parkinson (unattached) in 39:06. I was 156th (of 933) in 49:12.
Full results can be found at: https://www.stuweb.co.uk/race/1Nr

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great Hucklow Fell Race 2025

Stan's Toffee Run 2025