KNACKERS inspired by @feastandglory

This post is about lunch, not tea. Sorry.

I'm doing a 10k race next week, so I've retroactively rationalised today's lunch as preparation for that. What actually caused it is totally different. Another local food blogger (Feast & Glory) had sweetbreads for breakfast yesterday, so when I was trundling round town I had them half in my mind. 

I didn't find any.

But when I went in Ozmen, the big Turkish supermarket, there were packs of things labelled as sweetbreads. I asked the bloke behind the counter. He grinned at me and said "Balls". I passed. Then I changed my mind...


...and ended up with one-and-a-half lambs' worth of bollocks. I have eaten these before. Just coated in egg and breadcrumbs and fried, came out tasting like cheap chicken grills. 

Today I decided to do them differently, sliced and fried with paprika and leftover baked potato. First thing to do was peel them. Peeling cojones no es facil, but the membranes are pretty tough so it's the way to go. Once peeled, I sliced them up. Still a bit low-grade chickeny. I rolled them in flour and a bit of oatmeal, with paprika.



And the other ingredients:


Please ignore the state of the cooker. It's had a busy weekend.
And off we go! Finally they begin to look like something you might want to eat.


And on the plate...


Come on, you'd eat that. The balls do taste a bit sweetbreadish, a subtle tinge of offal, and they firm up nicely in the pan. They're definitely less work than gizzards. (I've still got some gizzards in the freezer. Need to sort that out.) They're a bit pricey though. Above a pound a goolie. However, as offal goes these are easy to prepare and their taste/texture isn't going to put off the timid. Teabags all round!

Addendum: this evening's dessert is parkin cake, from a recipe by Sticky Walnut as a reward for backing their Kickstarter. Proper good.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great Hucklow Fell Race 2025

Stan's Toffee Run 2025