Let's play onion ball!
Thank goodness you are here, said Liu one morning. I have been very lonely and bored.
Oh dear, said Petkov, frowning slightly. I am sorry to hear that. Never mind. I know what will cheer you up. Let's play onion ball!
That is a very good idea, exclaimed Liu. Onion ball never fails to lift my mood.
Soon Liu and Petkov were in the garden, engrossed in their game
I have scored a point!
I am winning four layers to three!
Oh goodness, I have conceded another skin! I must up my game before you build an unassailable lead!
And so on.
Hello Petkov and Liu!
Goodness, it is Ingrid, remarked Petkov. Hello Ingrid. It is good to see you again after so long. We are playing onion ball. Would you like to join in?
Yes please, said Ingrid.
Very well. We will start again from zero points.
By mid-afternoon, all three players were very tired. It had been a splendid game of onion ball, and Liu had won by a narrow margin of two layers.
Goodness me, said Liu. I am very happy. I have some lemonade in the refrigerator. Let us sit at the picnic table and have lemonade and hazelnut cakes.
The three friends spent the rest of the afternoon in conversation. Because they had not seen each other for a long time, they had lots to talk about. Liu talked about his trip to Shropshire and the many wagtails he had seen while walking on the Long Mynd. Petkov shared tales of his work as an undercover police man. Ingrid spoke of the many small fishing boats she had built during the summer, and the new sail she had invented.
Before they knew it, the sun was beginning to set and the companions' minds turned to the evening meal. Liu had recently bought the new Nigel Slater recipe book, Kitchen Diaries Two. I am eager to try out one of the recipes from Kitchen diaries Two, he said. I would be very pleased if you would stay for dinner, Petkov and Ingrid.
While Petkov and Ingrid laid the table, Liu set to work in the kitchen. He fried some sausages, and then some onions. He peeled some potatoes. He added some stock and 200 millilitres of stout to the sausages and onions, and put them in the oven. He boiled the potatoes, and then mashed them. He divided the meal between three plates, and sat down with Petkov and Ingrid, who were discussing the many varieties of lavender plants.
This is delicious, said Petkov. It is very smooth, with a tiny edge provided by the bitter beer. Thank you very much.
Yes, thank you Liu, echoed Ingrid.
What a lovely day it has been, said Liu, and his friends agreed.
Oh dear, said Petkov, frowning slightly. I am sorry to hear that. Never mind. I know what will cheer you up. Let's play onion ball!
That is a very good idea, exclaimed Liu. Onion ball never fails to lift my mood.
Soon Liu and Petkov were in the garden, engrossed in their game
I have scored a point!
I am winning four layers to three!
Oh goodness, I have conceded another skin! I must up my game before you build an unassailable lead!
And so on.
Hello Petkov and Liu!
Goodness, it is Ingrid, remarked Petkov. Hello Ingrid. It is good to see you again after so long. We are playing onion ball. Would you like to join in?
Yes please, said Ingrid.
Very well. We will start again from zero points.
By mid-afternoon, all three players were very tired. It had been a splendid game of onion ball, and Liu had won by a narrow margin of two layers.
Goodness me, said Liu. I am very happy. I have some lemonade in the refrigerator. Let us sit at the picnic table and have lemonade and hazelnut cakes.
The three friends spent the rest of the afternoon in conversation. Because they had not seen each other for a long time, they had lots to talk about. Liu talked about his trip to Shropshire and the many wagtails he had seen while walking on the Long Mynd. Petkov shared tales of his work as an undercover police man. Ingrid spoke of the many small fishing boats she had built during the summer, and the new sail she had invented.
Before they knew it, the sun was beginning to set and the companions' minds turned to the evening meal. Liu had recently bought the new Nigel Slater recipe book, Kitchen Diaries Two. I am eager to try out one of the recipes from Kitchen diaries Two, he said. I would be very pleased if you would stay for dinner, Petkov and Ingrid.
While Petkov and Ingrid laid the table, Liu set to work in the kitchen. He fried some sausages, and then some onions. He peeled some potatoes. He added some stock and 200 millilitres of stout to the sausages and onions, and put them in the oven. He boiled the potatoes, and then mashed them. He divided the meal between three plates, and sat down with Petkov and Ingrid, who were discussing the many varieties of lavender plants.
This is delicious, said Petkov. It is very smooth, with a tiny edge provided by the bitter beer. Thank you very much.
Yes, thank you Liu, echoed Ingrid.
What a lovely day it has been, said Liu, and his friends agreed.

Comments
Post a Comment