Giraffe Campbell
This might be the last entry here – the blog seems to lack the interactive element of the emails it replaced. So I thought I might as well go out with a bang. The picture above shows my giraffe Campbell pie. I didn't use the whole giraffe, obviously. I don't have a pie dish big enough, and even if I did, I didn't fancy a pie that contained only giraffe. This one also contains egg, crème fraîche and a big lump of grated cheddar. I'm afraid I'm not at liberty to tell you where I got the giraffe from. Judging by the skin still attached to the big lump my supplier cut my chunk off, it was either genuine or a very convincing fake. I'm told it was a neck cut, which I guess makes sense. The recipe was based on the egg and donkeydick recipe from Pie
, but with added giraffe and subtracted donkey. Sadly, no one seems to have posted it on the internet, though Amazon UK will let you have a look inside the book. And before anyone has a pop, there's loads of giraffes left. It's not as if I've been eating cod or anything (or its dirty little cousin).
The pie itself was pretty delicious. Giraffe is a little bland, but has a nutty aroma and is surprisingly tender. My pastry didn't really do it justice – I'm out of practice – and the cheese was perhaps a little too dominant. If I cook it again, I'll probably slice it thinly into medallions, flash-fry it and serve it on top of linguine, with just a hint of truffle oil and some sugarsnap peas on the side.
This is genius.
The pie itself was pretty delicious. Giraffe is a little bland, but has a nutty aroma and is surprisingly tender. My pastry didn't really do it justice – I'm out of practice – and the cheese was perhaps a little too dominant. If I cook it again, I'll probably slice it thinly into medallions, flash-fry it and serve it on top of linguine, with just a hint of truffle oil and some sugarsnap peas on the side.
This is genius.

Comments
Post a Comment